Today’s modern crowns are far superior to older ones, looking and feeling much more natural. Using the latest 3D technology and laser scanning, our full porcelain crowns are metal-free meaning they feel less bulky than older ones, and do not have a metal edge showing near the gum line. They also look far more realistic.
Crowns are usually fitted when a tooth has been damaged, either through decay or by accident, and is no longer strong enough to support any other type of restoration, such as a filling.
Crowns are also sometimes needed to support a dental bridge.
Usually you will need two appointments for a crown to be fitted. At the first one, we will numb the tooth that it is to be crowned, and the surrounding area, so you will not feel any pain. We prepare the tooth, take impressions (moulds) of the area, and fit a temporary crown.
The impressions are sent to our dental laboratory, where skilled craftsmen create a porcelain crown that will fit perfectly and match your other teeth.
At your second appointment, the temporary crown is removed, and the permanent one is bonded permanently into place.
If you require a more extensive restoration than a crown or have more than one tooth that needs to be repaired, a good solution is a bridge. Here is how they work:
• Bridges are usually made of a precious metal base, which gives them a solid structure and makes them hard-wearing. If you need a bridge in your smile line, porcelain is usually added to the base to make it look more like real teeth.
• A bridge helps to strengthen the prepared teeth and makes chewing and eating easier because they are fixed and can’t come out.
• Some bridges can also be fixed to your jaw with dental implants, if you have several teeth next to each other that are missing.
Once you have a bridge fitted, you will have to take extra care during your daily hygiene regime to ensure it stays plaque free and does not cause bad breath.
• A sturdy way to restore several teeth in a row.
• Beautiful, natural-looking restoration.
• Restores the ability to chew and eat as before.